I spent most of the day at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (JBWR), taking in
the winter scene and digging up birds where I could.  Both the South and
North Marsh are frozen over with very little open water. Pumpkin Channel in
the bay, was the same with small patches of open water.

There was not much waterfowl in these open patches but within the ones that
were available for viewing I found 1 drake Northern Pintail among American
Black Ducks and Mallards. An Adult Red-shouldered Hawk was also observed on
the short portion of the West Pond trail.

Over on the East Pond, the situation was much the same. The pond, is mostly
frozen over, with a sliver of open water which held 7 ducks. 4 Mallards, 2
Hooded Mergansers and 1 Bufflehead. Despite the paucity of birdlife, I had
2 Rough-legged Hawks on the east side of the pond. Both adult birds, one
dark and one light morph.

Back at the JBWR visitors center, I caught up with an American Kestrel,
that put on a nice show. It caught a White-footed Mouse, which it displayed
allowing a few digiscope shots before heading off for a comfortable dining
perch.

Later at Big Egg Marsh, I was greeted by 6 Snow Geese on the ball field not
knowing there were hundreds more on the ice in the frozen bay which all put
up when a chopper flew over the area.  The only notable bird was an
Ipswitch Sparrow, that was tracked down by Tom Burke who by then had joined
me along with Gail Benson.  Not a lot of birds but an enjoyable day birding
around the Bay.

Cheers,

-- 
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu <http://refspace.com/quotes/Sun_Tzu>  *The Art of War*
<http://refspace.com/quotes/The_Art_of_War>

(\__/)
(= '.'=)

(") _ (")


Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to