I went 2 for 3 on my target species search at Montezuma NWR this afternoon.

The EARED GREBE was right where everyone said it would be – in the first open 
water area on the left on the Main Pool along Wildlife Drive.  There was plenty 
of waterfowl accompanying the grebe, but a self-imposed time limit did not 
allow me to give them a complete and thorough search.  The species that I did 
notice were:

Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
American Coot

I struck out on the Ibis that was seen at Shorebird Flats, but at the first 
“pond” I found 1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 1 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and heard a 
flyover AMERICAN PIPIT.  The second “pond” had a GREAT EGRET, 1 GREAT BLUE 
HERON and 19 DUNLIN.

Along East Rd I counted 35 SANDHILL CRANES in a plowed cornfield and found 
another 16 at Knox-Marsellus Marsh for a total of 51 Cranes.  I also found 1 
ROSS’S GOOSE at K-M Marsh.


At Fair Haven State Park, I checked the rocky shoreline on the bay-side of the 
break wall, but instead of Purple Sandpipers, I found 1 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER 
and a limping DUNLIN.




Mickey Scilingo
Constantia
Oswego County, NY
[email protected]
315-679-6299
--

Cayugabirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/CAYU.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to