Just a few general observations from up north.

 

Pine Siskins continue to be heard everywhere I hike/camp in the Adirondacks.
Purple Finches are also moving around.  Golden-crowned Kinglets are abundant
- as Shai Mitra mentioned regarding Downy Woodpecker movements, it can be
tricky to distinguish movements in local, year-round residents.
Golden-crowned Kinglets are typically found year-round in the Adirondacks,
but they appear to currently be much more abundant than normal - seemingly
in every bush and tree!  Wild Turkeys had another good year and they are
abundant.  Barred Owls are heard every night outside our home and everywhere
I camp.  Small mammal populations were way up this past summer, and numbers
are dropping off a bit now.  Last winter, we had Blue Jays at our feeders
(in the Central Adirondacks) throughout the winter for the first time.  Blue
Jays have been perching on our porch railing for the past few days and
appear to be searching for the feeders!  I normally wait until late October
to start feeding birds to avoid Black Bears and Raccoons, but I decided to
start feeding this week.

 

We have been observing an Eastern Coyote outside our house for the past week
or so.  I took a dawn photo of the coyote on 10/12/14 and posted it to my
Facebook page listed below.

 

10/12/14 Long Lake (Hamilton County)

 

I observed the season's first (juvenile) Golden Eagle migrant over Big Brook
along Route 30 in Long Lake at 2 p.m.  It appeared to be taking off (it was
right over the road) with a Common Raven encouraging it to leave.  It soared
higher and higher - in the background of my scope view, I could just make
out several much smaller raptors in the same thermal with the eagle!  (This
was the same day that the first Golden Eagle was tallied at Franklin
Mountain Hawk watch.)

 

There was a female Eastern Towhee migrant at the outlet of Little Tupper
Lake with a bill covered in berry juice!  (Photo on my Facebook page.)  This
location is a magnet for many migrating species and one of my favorite
birding locations, because you never know what you'll find. (Other sparrows:
White-crowned, White-throated, Chipping, Song, and Dark-eyed Junco)

 

Among many Yellow-rumped Warblers at Sabattis Bog, a tail pumping (yellow)
Palm Warbler appeared.  Gray Jays have been actively feeding along the road
by Sabattis Bog for several days.  Dragonflies were active and I
photographed a lovely butterfly at Sabattis Bog (photo on Facebook).

 

10/11/14 Bloomingdale Areas (Franklin Co.)

 

On a half-day tour with a couple from New Jersey, we visited boreal habitat
areas.  Here are some of the species found:

 

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker - two different birds calling (one upset by the
appearance of the 2 friendly Gray Jays!)

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

American Kestrel

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay - 5 (two different groups of 2 and a 5th heard vocalizing) - we
encountered two very friendly Gray Jays in an area where I didn't think they
would be tame!  (Photo on my Facebook page.)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee - at least 6 (flock of at least 4 and another group of at
least 2)

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush - several

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Purple Finch

Pine Siskin

 

On my way back to Long Lake, I found a calling/rattling Black-backed
Woodpecker across Sabattis Bog (Sabattis Circle Road) and 3 foraging Gray
Jays by the bog.  I nearly hit a Ruffed Grouse that suddenly ran into Route
30.  There was a solo Ring-necked Duck and Wood Ducks on Shaw Pond in Long
Lake.

 

10/9/14 Long Lake - I observed an Eastern Towhee migrant with the hordes of
Dark-eyed Juncos on our lawn.

 

10/5/14 Whiteface Mountain & Bloomingdale (Essex and Franklin Counties)

 

Larry Master and I went up Whiteface Mountain pre-dawn on 10/5 and
encountered freezing temps and blowing fog (& some snow on the trees - see
my Facebook page!).  It was tough to get out of the car.  We found many
birds, including a couple of Bicknell's Thrushes.  We also found a couple of
Boreal Chickadees on the drive down.  I spent time birding in lowland areas
(River Road and Bloomingdale) after we came down to a warmer climate!  Here
are some of the species:

 

Ruffed Grouse - 2

All 6 possible woodpecker species, including a male Black-backed Woodpecker
(photos on my Facebook page)

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay - 2

Boreal Chickadee - 7 (2 on Whiteface, and groups of 2 and 5 in the
Bloomingdale area)

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird - large flock

Bicknell's Thrush - at least 2 on Whiteface

Swainson's Thrush - 2 (one on Whiteface and another along River Road
foraging with robins and bluebirds)

Hermit Thrush

Nashville Warbler - 1

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Sparrows: Savannah, Song, White-throated, White-crowned, and Dark-eyed Junco

Finches: Purple, Pine Siskin, and Amer. Goldfinch

 

10/2/14 to 10/3/14 Canoe-camp trip on Lake Lila in the William C. Whitney
Wilderness Area w/ a climb of Frederica Mountain (Long Lake, Hamilton Co.)

 

I have a blog on this trip with many photos that will soon be published -
I'll send the link when it appears.  It was a terrific night for migration
and I was thrilled to be out camping!  I was next to Shingle Shanty Brook at
camp site 17.  Here are some of the species found on the trip:

 

Canada Goose - non-stop flocks came over in wave after wave beginning at
dusk

Ruffed Grouse - 2

Common Loon

Osprey

Bald Eagle - 2

Greater Yellowlegs - 2

Wilson's Snipe - 2

Barred Owl - several

Belted Kingfisher

Pileated Woodpecker

Blue-headed Vireo - singing

Gray Jay - 2

Brown Creeper - singing

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - singing

"Gray-cheeked Thrush" - first of the season night flight call heard

Swainson's Thrush - a few migrants

Hermit Thrush - many pre-dawn

Common Yellowthroat - Shingle Shanty Brook

Yellow-rumped Warbler - many flocks

Sparrows: Song, Swamp (a few singing), White-throated (singing), and
Dark-eyed Junco

Finches - Purple, Pine Siskin - many heard including a flock at the first
hint of dawn light, and Amer. Goldfinch

 

There was a bull Moose observed at the mouth of Shingle Shanty Brook an hour
before I arrived!  I saw the huge paths in the vegetation when I canoed
Shingle Shanty Brook.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell       

(518) 624-5528 home

http://www.adirondackavianexpeditions.com/   

http://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to