4/11/14 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.), Newcomb and Minerva (Essex Co.)

 

There was a huge movement of birds between yesterday and today.  I visited
Newcomb, Minerva, and several areas of Long Lake this morning and found many
new arrivals/migrants (& many more of the arrivals I posted yesterday).
Here are some of the species (* for first-of-the-season, at least in the
central Adirondacks since I’ve been south quite a bit!):

 

Amer. Black Duck – on Long Lake

*Green-winged Teal – 1 on Long Lake

Common Merganser – several on Long Lake

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe – 4 together on Long Lake

*Great Blue Heron – perched over a solidly frozen pond where there is a
two-nest rookery! (photo on Facebook)

Turkey Vulture – several on a deer carcass (with Common Ravens) on the
Hudson River (I suspect the deer fell through the ice)

Red-tailed Hawk

*American Woodcock – 1 in the middle of Route 28N near Long Lake – I had to
slam on the breaks and get off the road to avoid hitting it.  It was bobbing
and content to be on the snowless road!  It flew to a snowless patch of
ground and foraged – I took photos and a video.  The video had my husband
laughing – I will work on uploading it to Facebook!

Barred Owl – vocalizing along Little Tupper Lake

*Belted Kingfisher – Hudson and Boreas Rivers

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker – more today

Pileated Woodpecker – several

Merlin – pair in a large White Pine along Long Lake near the bridge (very
loud!)

*Eastern Phoebe – several

Gray Jay – 1 along Sabattis Circle Road

Brown Creeper – numerous and lots of singing (outside our house and at all
my stops)

Winter Wren – many more today

Golden-crowned Kinglet – numerous with lots of singing

*Fox Sparrow – abundant and heard singing/viewed at nearly all my stops!

Song Sparrow

*White-throated Sparrow – 1 by the Boreas River

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

*Rusty Blackbird – 3; 1 in Newcomb flying over the golf course heading
toward the Hudson River and at least 2 at the Little Tupper Lake outlet
(this is also a place I find them migrating in the fall)

Common Grackle

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill – 3;  pair along Route 28N in Minerva acting as if they have a
nest (I believe some are still nesting while others already have fledglings)
and an apparently solo male along Sabattis Circle Road in Long Lake – this
bird spent about ½ hour really close to me.  It gritted on the dirty snow in
the road and along the snowbanks, and perched in several trees.  It
vocalized non-stop – singing, calling, and making other sounds that I have
never heard from this species.  I took photos (on my Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/AdirondackAvian ) and a few videos, plus several
recordings.  It was a good winter for Red Crossbill nesting from Long Lake
to Minerva this year.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to