White-winged Scoter is the only Scoter I'd expect on that part of the Hudson.  
They are fairly regular in Spring (less so in fall) from Stillwater north 
through Ft. Miller and Ft. Edward and onto Lake George as well.  Much like 
Red-necked Grebe, their numbers have been better this winter thanks to most of 
the Great Lakes being frozen.
I had 4 Red-necked Grebes at Stillwater (Saratoga County) this morning, 
hundreds of Common Goldeneye (no Barrow's, but I suspect its there still), 
handfuls of Bufflehead and Hooded Mergansers and a few Common Mergnasers 
(including a female I watched catch and eat a large frog).  Just up river near 
the Admiral's Marina, a mixed group of Scaup (more Greater's than Lesser's) and 
2 Drake Canvasback (somewhat unusual).
Further south, I had the continuing flotilla of about 10 Greater Scaup and 9 
Redheads at the Crescent Power Station, near Cohoes (Albany County) along with 
a few American Black Ducks.  3 Iceland Gulls were present, including one birds 
transitioning into its 3rd year, several hundreds gulls also present, mostly 
Herring (Including an immature that was color marked) with a good smattering of 
Great Black-backed Gulls. Constantly put up by a half dozen or so annoying 
Eagles.  Another mixed group of Scaup was present down river on the Mohawk, 
closer to Cohoes proper.
At the Vischer Ferry Power Plant (Saratoga County), 3 more Greater Scaup, a few 
Common Goldeneye and Common Mergansers and a lone female Bufflehead, along with 
an adult Bald Eagle keeping an eye on everything.
Good Birding!
Will RaupAlbany, NY

To: [email protected]
From: [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] White-winged Scoter in Stillwater, NY
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 09:53:38 -0500


While searching for the elusive Barrow's Goldeneye in Stillwater, NY, I found a 
single White-winged Scoter on the Hudson River behind the Bank. This bird was 
an adult male. I also viewed a juvenile Red-necked Grebe that was mixed in with 
a group of Common Goldeneyes. I had never seen a Scoter this far North on the 
Hudson River. Didn't find the Barrow's today. Last sighted him on Sunday, March 
2nd. 
Scott VarneyMoreau, NYSent from my HTC One on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE 
network
--
        NYSbirds-L List Info:
        Welcome and Basics         
        Rules and Information         
        Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
        Archives:
        The Mail Archive
        Surfbirds
        BirdingOnThe.Net
        Please submit your observations to eBird!
        --

                                          
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to