I spent the day on Friday birding in Jefferson County, mostly along the Lake 
Ontario shoreline, without much success.  Seems that the strong southwest winds 
were a bit too strong for most of the smaller land birds to be out.  I worked 
the lakeshore south to north along Rt 3, starting at Montario Point Rd, and 
then headed over to Point Peninsula before ending my day at dusk at Perch Lake.

Montario Point Rd - 

There were 3 AMERICAN WIGEON and 2 PIED-BILLED GREBES on South Colwell Pond.  I 
stopped at the end of the road and watched over the lake for about 20-25 
minutes.  The waves on the lake were fairly high, so looking for any waterfowl 
on the water was difficult.  Several ducks flew back and forth past me, but the 
numbers were limited to just 7 COMMON MERGANSERS, 12 LONG-TAILED DUCKS and a 
single COMMON LOON.

South Sandy Creek fishing area - 

The creek here was running strong and overflowed its banks at the fishing dock. 
 I found 2 DARK-EYED JUNCOS, several AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES and a CARDINAL as I 
walked along the trail.  I eventually reached a point where the creek waters 
inundated the trail, so I turned around.  On the way back to my car I heard a 
single AMERICAN PIPIT fly overhead.

Lakeview Marsh WMA - 

I stopped at several of the access points and parking areas for this area along 
Rt 3 and came away with 9 birds total.  One was a juvenile BALD EAGLE who was 
up floating in the winds slowly flying south along the lakeshore.  The others 
were a RED-TAILED HAWK being harassed by an AMERICAN CROW, 1 BLUE JAY, 1 
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, my first AMERICAN TREE SPARROW of the season, 2 
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, and a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET.  

Rt 3 and Rt 193 – there were 4 EASTERN BLUEBIRDS on the wire at this 
intersection.

Stony Creek Boat Launch – 1 RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD and a brief look at a TURKEY 
VULTURE in the air before it dropped below the tree line to my east.

Henderson Boat Launch - 

2 MUTE SWANS, 4 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, and 2 COMMON MERGANSER males were 
the only birds I found here.

Rt 180 – 1 AMERICAN KESTREL on the wires.

Point Peninsula - 

I drove all the way around Point Peninsula, starting at Long Point Rd to the 
park, then down South Shore Rd and around the bottom of the point and then 
making a left onto Beach Rd before heading out.  I found small groups of 
waterfowl scattered along the whole shoreline of the peninsula, with the 
following totals:

AMERICAN BLACK DUCK – 7
MALLARD – 20
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER – 5
BUFFLEHEAD – 45
COMMON GOLDENEYE – 4
COMMON MERGANSER – 25

BONAPARTE’S GULL – 14
RING-BILLED GULL – 6
HERRING GULL – 3
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL – 1


My heart skipped a beat when I spotted some swallows feeding low over the water 
in the channel of Toad Hole Cove on the southwestern side of the Point.  But 
after scoping the birds from in front of house # 21249 on South Shore Rd, I was 
able to see that all of the swallows were TREE SWALLOWS.  About 100 of them.


On the way off the Peninsula, I saw 2 SNOW BUNTINGS in the area of the new boat 
launch on Rt 57.

Final stop was Perch Lake.  In the waning light, I spotted a condensing flock 
of waterfowl drifting to the center of the lake to roost for the night.  
Species found in this flock:

AMERICAN WIGEON
RING-NECKED DUCK
GREATER SCAUP
LESSER SCAUP
BUFFLEHEAD
RUDDY DUCK

Also on Perch Lake were several scattered flocks of CANADA GEESE and 2 sleeping 
swans, which I presume are the resident TRUMPETER SWANS.




Mickey Scilingo
Constantia
Oswego County, NY
[email protected]
315-679-6299
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to