Last night, after checking the weather, I made the fortuitous decision to
visit the Fire Island Hawk-watch today. The wind was out of the n/w for
most of the day (I was there from ~ 1000 to 1615) during which the
temperature kept getting colder, causing me to keep "layering up", until I
"maxed out" !

The raptor total for the day was 122, with 72 of them being Merlins ! So,
fittingly, it was a Merlin that had the honor of being the "unofficial"
2000 raptor counted at the FIHW this season. This, of course, was the cause
for some celebrating, but as Bob Kurtz was quick to point out, the total at
this point on a normal year, should be about double that amount. Although
no peregrines were counted at the hawk-watch today, I did see the resident
pair atop their favorite haunt, the F.I. Water- tower.

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to