After dropping my wife off at LaGuardia Airport, for her flight to Chicago,
I headed  east to Suffolk's Smith Point County Park, in the hope of it
living up to it's long ago given "nickname", referenced above ! Although
not recording any special sparrows or allies, a nice variety of species
were observed. The most numerous among them were the 43 Gannets (mostly
adults, flying east to west, with some fairly close to shore)counted in a
35 minute period. Also seen during this sea-watch were 11 White-winged
Scoters flying west to east and 2 Royal Terns,in addition to the many large
gulls standing around waiting for a handout from the 15 surfcasters
scattered along the beach. What I found interesting was, despite all this
evidence of fish being "out there", I didn't see a single Gannet dive, nor
did I see a fisherman bring in a fish. In fact, the only action happened
when one of the terns dove, once, coming up empty ! Among the land birds
seen were: 3 E.Phoebe; 2 Hermit Thrush; many Yellow-rumped Warblers; 1 Palm
Warbler; 2 Indigo Buntings and
 7 species of sparrows: Field; Chipping; Savannah (Ipswich);
White-throated; White-crowned; Song and Swamp. What will the morrow bring ?

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to