Hi all.  On October 9, while birding the Kissena Corridor in Queens County, I 
had the unusual experience of being stumped by a bird I saw.  It was a 
medium-sized finch with a small bill and lots of white in the sides of the the 
tail.  It was brown, with a finely streaked breast washed with a vague buffy or 
rose color.  Surrounding the eye was a broad pale brown area.  I was not able 
to relocate the bird after my initial view, despite help from Eric Miller.  I 
suspected it was a female-type Eurasian finch of some sort, so when I got home 
I checked my Mullarney, et al "Birds of Europe", and sure enough found that the 
bird is a dead ringer for Linnet (a.k.a. Common Linnet).  I just got a call 
from Eric Miller saying he saw the bird today in the same general area and got 
a (lousy) photograph.

Before a stampede starts, please consider that there are no records of Linnet 
vagrancy in North America, to my knowledge.  Also, Linnet is kept as a cage 
bird for its lovely voice, though not commonly.  So it is likely that this bird 
is an escape from captivity.  Nevertheless an interesting diversion.

The general area of the sightings is the Kissena Corridor Park, between the 
Community Garden and the small artificial, fenced-in soccer field.  This area 
was restored several years ago by the NYC Parks Department, and is now a 
diverse shrubby/weedy meadow.  Coordinates of sightings thus far are as follows:

40.746766, -73.819783
40.746538, -73.818281

Seth Ausubel
Forest Hills, NY




--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to