The morning flight at Robert Moses State Park (Suffolk Co.), driven by a 
moderate northwest wind was substantial if not spectacular. I concentrated my 
effort on the western end of the park, on the golf course and other areas 
adjacent to parking field 2. The hottest action was in the pines and shrubs 
near the beginning of the RV beach access road. I was riveted to that spot for 
30 minutes by 2-3 CAPE MAY WARBLERS, 1-2 TENNESSEE, 1 CANADA, 3-4  N. Parulas, 
1 Blackpoll, 1-2 Pine, several Palms, and a Blue-headed Vireo. Earlier, on the 
golf course, the highlights were a LINCOLN'S SPARROW and a flyover by an adult 
Bald Eagle. An immature Bald Eagle was seen later soaring over the eastern end 
of parking field 2 near the volleyball courts. By that point in the morning the 
raptor flight was starting to pick up, so I headed to the Fire Island hawk 
watch at the east end of the park. My timing was good as I was up on the 
platform when Shai Mitra's call came in regarding the LARK SPARROW he'd found. 
I hustled over toward the lighthouse where the sparrow was temporarily out of 
sight. Thankfully it reappeared after a short wait and provided nice looks for 
about a minute before flying off ~50 yards to the west.

In the early afternoon, on my way home from running errands, I paid a 1 hour 
visit to Lakeland County Park (Islandia). There were signs of migration evident 
there as well, with the highlights being an adult male HOODED WARBLER, a Wood 
Thrush, a Solitary Sandpiper, and a Green heron.

eBird checklists for both sites here:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15241081
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15241168
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to