Yesterday, because of Tuesday night's n/w winds, I opted to pay my first
visit of the season to the Fire Island Hawk-Watch. I arrived mid-morning,
and left ~ 1215. The weather was great, the company was great, but the
birding was slow. The wind stayed n/w, until coming around to s/e about
1130, but was low ~ 5 to 7 mph. Swallows ( mostly trees, with some barns)
were the most numerous bird species seen, and kept passing throughout my
entire stay. A few Ospreys, Merlins and  Kestrels were also counted, in
addition to the 4 or 5 hummingbirds that buzzed on bye !  Other sightings
were 2 White-tail Deer, each with a sizable "wrack", as well as huge
numbers of "darners" - which, due to the available time (read -  slow
birding) I was able to learn a bit about , thanks to Drew Panko &
Trudy Battaly. On a different note, once on Fire Island proper, but before
even reaching the counting platform, I came upon a bird/road-kill, that
proved to be a mystery to, first, me, and then to the other "counters".
Although badly squashed, I took some photos and collected a few feathers,
which hopefully, will lead to an identification.

En-route home, I had a lone Turkey Vulture in Calverton, and after getting
to Riverhead, had another lone T.V. flying over our Condo, and for the very
first time, a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird in our garden, seeking
nourishment from 2 of our Rose of Sharon bushes !

Cheers,
Bob

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to