I had a good feeling about today while still in the parking lot of Cupsouge
Co. Pk., when I didn't run into anyone who had seen the Red-necked Stint
earlier in the day (as in D/c/f/m/A 1&2). The 2 birders I did meet where,
in my mind, about 180 degrees from each other. The 1st was Jim Clinton Jr.,
who now resides in Kingston, N.Y., but spent most of his early life in
Wading River. I have known him for at least 30 years, living in the same
town, belonging to the same Audubon Chapter and birding with him and his
Dad, Jim Sr., who, unfortunately, passed away recently. The 2nd fellow was
Vincent N., an intrepid birder from Princeton, N.J., with today being the
1st time our paths have ever crossed.

We took the long way in and experienced fairly shallow water from marsh to
flats. As we approached the assembled brethren/sisteren, it was a little
tough to "read their Body English", re: if they were looking at the bird or
not. Well, they weren't...but ~ 2/3 of them had seen it earlier...and at a
fairly short distance ! We then settled in for a bit of "scoping", during
which we found a 1st year Arctic Tern, 1 Roseate Tern and 2 Black Terns.

At approximately 1015 - 1030, Andy Guthrie called out that much longed for
phrase "I have the stint" ! After trying to get the rest of us (5) on the
bird, he suggested  moving up for a closer and clearer view...which we all
got, in spite of the fog ! The color on the neck and throat was outstanding
!

Cheers,
Bob...P.S. Bring on the Elegant !

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to