I birded the flats today between 0900 and 1115 on the incoming tide and had 
some nice birds. Highlights were 2 first summer type artic terns, 3 black 
terns, 6 roseate terns and 1 (I think) royal tern. A couple I met on my way out 
told me about Arie Gilbert's post re: possible elegant tern which I read when I 
got home. So I took a close look at my pics. The bird I saw had an orange bill 
(not orange-red, but not unlike the bill color I've seen on other royals later 
in the season) and an all black cap with just a bit of white speckling on the 
forecrown. My prior field experience for elegant tern  is limited to one 
distant view, of one individual,  from several years back. Therefore I did some 
research as well today. The bill shape seems to be consistent with royal tern. 
However, from what I've learned royal terns usually lose the black crown in May 
to early June...elegant terns, later...interesting. 

Kathryn Klecan
Middle Island,NY
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to