I shouldn't be making a big deal over just a LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, but hey, I keep seeing people going after it. So, it's still at Oakland Lake today. Rich Kelly saw it this morning on the staircase I previously mentioned. Note that this is the Springfield Blvd. staircase. I saw people waiting the other day by the staircase that come down from 46th Avenue on the north side (where a number of Bloodroot flowers are grabbing the attention of some). I later saw the waterthrush a short distance south of the staircase. A very early YELLOW WARBLER (although not the first in the region) was seen in the same area, first by Rich, then by Eric Miller, then finally by me. Eric also reported Blue-headed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and a Wood Duck. The female Ring-necked Duck is still there, now associating with an immature male Lesser Scaup who just arrived earlier in the week.
Steve Walter -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve Walter Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 1:10 PM To: 'Steve Walter'; [email protected] Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Louisiana Waterthrush, Queens Since there's been interest, I'll mention that the LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH is still around at Oakland Lake. I saw it on the paved trail a few yards west of the area mentioned below. Since I had no choice but to continue along the trail, it flushed up and flew -- toward the shoreline on the west end of the lake, about where a staircase comes down from Springfield Blvd. Actually, I thought I had heard the call note when I walked passed this spot a few minutes earlier. A smattering of migrants included Flicker, Brown Creeper, Palm Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The fallout of Golden-crowned Kinglets was anything but a smattering, with them everywhere I walked at Oakland and Alley Park. I saw a single Palm Warbler, at Alley too, in my half-hour there. The warm weather seems to have sent the message to the Oakland waterfowl. Ruddy Ducks, Shovelers, and Lesser Scaup all left. Ring-necked Duck still there. Go figure why a pair of Hooded Mergansers would show up in April. Steve Walter Bayside, NY -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve Walter Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 1:54 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [nysbirds-l] Louisiana Waterthrush, Queens LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH today at Oakland Lake in northeastern Queens. For those that can't wait until they're all over the place, the area to look is along the lake's south shore, about two-thirds of the way toward the west end. Look between a big rock at the water's edge and a large forked tree overhanging the water (actually, one of the few areas where vegetation doesn't prevent seeing the water's edge). If you see Chickadees excavating a nest, you're in the right spot. Seeing it would also require this skittish waterthrush to return to the area, which its shows an inclination to do. Despite a smattering of migrants over the week, the waterfowl variety still remains better, including a female Ring-necked Duck that first came in a week ago. An immature Snow Goose that's been around all winter, is still coming around, but still hasn't turned into a Ross' Goose. Steve Walter Bayside, NY -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ -- -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ -- -- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L 3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
