While most of the reporting from Central Park has been well covered by Tom 
Fiore, there are a few more birds that are worth mentioning since this past 
Monday.

4/8 - 3 Rusty Blackbirds in the Loch 
4/9 - Pine Siskin foraging on the ground just east of the Block House (I 
received second hand information that another birder got a few more nearby 
later that morning)
 4 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers feeding in the canopy just south and east of the 
Block House. 
Common Loon observed migrating in a northwesterly direction right above 110th 
street.
4/10 - Blue-headed Vireo made a brief appearance in the canopy just north east 
of the Block House and seen at eye level. 
Common Yellow-throat, a bright male feeding with three House Sparrows, under a 
young pine next to the entrance to the Wood-chip Pile behind the Conservatory 
Garden. While no expert on arrival dates, I knew this guy was a little early. A 
quick check on the net produced a paper on the life history of this species 
which stated late April as the expected arrival time for COYE in NY state. Is 
this an uncommon occurrence or not really? I have not checked eBird for data on 
this subject yet. So the Block House has been good these past few days, with 
pretty much all of the expected migrants being seen around NYC there as well.

 A word of caution: I apologize in advance for breeching the scope of 
conversation for this list serve. I would strongly advise that birders explore 
this area in pairs at the very least. I am told that relative to years past, 
the North Woods is a much safer  place to bird. However, there is man, who 
frequents that area who should give birder's pause. He is there almost every 
day during the warm months. I've had several uncomfortable interactions with 
him that included him stalking me three times and threatening me once and all 
completely unprovoked by me. I've seen him every day since Monday this season. 
He's been wearing a blue hooded sweat-shirt, dark loose fitting jeans, and 
white sneakers. I'd say he is in his mid to late forties. I don't mean to come 
across as alarmist, but approach this area with care.

Be safe and good luck,

Nadir Souirgi
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to