Sorry for the late post, but due to a  computer problem last night, I had to 
wait until now for "tech" support to get me going.
Yesterday, Tom Moran and I raced down to Gilgo Beach in time to wait for quite 
awhile before seeing the Gyrfalcon. At ~ 3:30 PM the bird just seemed to appear 
(no one saw it approaching in flight) at  one of the osprey platforms on the 
w/s of  the p/lot, with the bird's shape and size (at that distance) making it 
just a "strong possibility". We were then able to get to a closer vantage 
point, which enabled us to feel sure of the bird's ID, because of it's overall 
color and body bulk and length.
After the gyr left, we decided  to try for the Red-necked Grebe at Captree 
(neither Tom nor I had yet to see this species this season) and therefore had 
to travel  a good deal west (due to road repair) in order to swing around to 
head east - but this proved to be quite helpful. It put us closer to the 
platform and because the road level is much  higher than the marsh level/view, 
we were able to see the platform from a much better angle. 
As we came to parallel said platform, we noticed it was occupied again, 
however, by the wrong falcon - this might have been the 3rd Peregrine of the 
day. Earlier, we had seen two  ( 1 flying overhead, while at the same time, 
another was resting on the marsh) and an A.Bittern, from the p/lot. The bird  
we were viewing now was smaller (bulk & length), much less gray, had the head & 
facial features, as well as the throat, wings and tail coloring of a peregrine. 
I must give credit, for picking up on some of these field marks before I did, 
to Tom and to a birder from Huntington, Pat  Palladino (sp ?), who joined us by 
the side of the road, after meeting  him for the first time at the p/lot. 
For the most part, human nature seems to react positively when a situation 
requiring action presents itself...however, yesterday, was not without it's 
exceptions. To reference my point re: the 2 people who acted badly at Gilgo, I 
would like to go back to 2/15/'81, the date of my first  Gyrfalcon sighting. It 
was at the Lawrence Marsh, Nassau Co., and the bird was a white morph...a real 
"stunner" ! Our group of Moriches Bay Auduboners, led by Gil Raynor, was very 
fortunate to see the bird at rest in a tree (the highlight being it's bright 
yellow cere seen through a Quester telescope), flying, preening on the marsh 
and unfortunately, as it 3X attacked a Great-horned Owl decoy, placed on top of 
a pole, and held by a character who had walked out to the middle of the marsh. 
We never found out his name or why he did it, but to this day, it ranks as the 
worst case of "bird stress" I've ever encountered. 
Now the two cases of unethical behavior  I witnessed yesterday ( one by, I 
believe, a photographer - the other by a birder) certainly pales  in comparison 
to the 1981 disgrace, but they do illustrate contempt for excepted rules and 
for other birders and photographers alike. When told,, as they started to walk 
on private property in order to get nearer to the bird for a better view and/or 
photo (bearing in mind the bird was in view without trespassing),  they chose 
to walk on. Disregarding being told their actions could cause  problems for 
those who hadn't seen the bird yet, they just kept walking. In fact one of them 
said, with what sounded like pride "I've been going on private property for 15 
years and....." !  Although there was no one home at this location, there was a 
neighbor home 2,or,3 houses down, thereby,making it a real possibility of the 
authorities being called. I can only hope the frustration expressed here, helps 
somebody make the right decision in the future !
Cheers, Bob.                                      
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to