Yesterday I got a call from my mother who lives about 2 blocks east of me here 
in Albany, that she had a strongly patterned warbler that landed on her window 
sill.  Her description strongly suggested Yellow-throated Warbler, although 
her description also fit a Blackburnian Warbler.  It was too late in the day to 
check it out in person, but I headed over this morning.

In our conversation she mentioned that it was traveling with a typical winter 
mixed flock (Black-capped Chickadee, Downy Woodpecker, White-breasted Nuthatch 
etc.).  I staked out her backyard and feeder this morning for about 1.5 hours 
and found nothing but a hoard of House Sparrows and Mourning Doves.

Upon my return home (remember only about 2 blocks away), I heard a flock of 
Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers and WB Nuthataches and decided to check it out.  
After a few minutes of searching I found the Warbler moving high through the 
leafless tree's.  Yellow-throated Warbler is a life bird (and new yard bird!), 
but the bird had a short yellow throat, much smaller than most field guides 
show (hence why my mother didn't want to commit to that ID), but all the field 
marks add up and seen well as the bird sat very still in the tree.  I got some 
distant but recognizable pictures.

Ironcially, as I watched the warbler a Common Redpoll dropped out of the sky 
and landed next to the warbler, creating an interesting combination of birds 
that nest both north and south of the region at the same time (wish I could 
have gotten a picture).

The bird appears to be following a Chickadee flock that is roaming the 
neighborhood, meaning it has no reliable spot... for now.

Also had a few hundred Snow Geese pass over head.

Good Birding!



Will Raup
Albany, NY

                                          
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to