I made my annual late autumn visit to Caumsett State Park today, later
than usual by 2-3 weeks due to the park's closure after Hurricane Sandy.
But it was a productive 5-1/2 hours (9:00-2:30) nonetheless, highlighted
by a NORTHERN SHRIKE (presumably the same one that was reported 11/11) and
a WESTERN KINGBIRD. The Kingbird was found in the small outlying stable and
corral area (40.919727, -73.462257). For years I've half-expected/hoped to
find the species in this spot one day. Seemed like just the kind of habitat
that would appeal to one. Today was the day. The Shrike was hunting a long,
narrow line of trees separating the two large fields east of the equestrian
center corrals (40.926038, -73.459784). The scream of a Blue Jay drew my
attention to this bird. I had just enough time for short binocular views and
to take a couple photos before it slipped away. But I hung around the area,
and a bit later, as I was observing and photographing a small flock of Cedar
Waxwings, the Shrike suddenly reappeared, scattering the Waxwings in all
directions. I last saw the Shrike in hot pursuit of one of them. Some other
good finds were 17 Eastern Bluebirds, 35 American Pipits, 1 Snow Bunting
(manure piles northeast of equestrian center), a late BLACKPOLL WARBLER
(same area as the Kingbird), 1 Vesper Sparrow (brush dump), 4 Fox Sparrows,
and 1 Eastern Meadowlark (flying over grassland restoration field).

Full eBird checklist:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12049546

Photos viewable here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/sets/72157632017241867/with/81896567
20/





--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to