10/20/12 Long Lake (northern Hamilton Co.)

 

Our feeders went up a little over a week ago, and the number of birds
visiting continues to increase each day (9 species as of today).  Evening
Grosbeaks began visiting the feeders on Thursday (10/18) - a flock of 25 to
30, and stayed the entire day.  A smaller flock visited yesterday morning,
and a pair visited early this morning.  Pine Siskin numbers have increased
each day, and it was well over a hundred today.  Purple Finches could be
heard in the trees, but have not yet come down to the feeders.  Once again,
I set up our baby monitor outside, so we can hear all the outdoor
vocalizations inside.  

 

There are news stories documenting the population explosion of squirrels
this year in the northeast - certainly the case at our house too - Red and
Gray Squirrels and Eastern Chipmunks are competing for bird seed each day.
We continue to catch one to two mice a day in our house - this is down from
the numbers we caught each day all summer!  I can't recall a time when we
had so many mice coming in our house in SUMMER!

 

With the warmer weather this week, insects are still active - dragonflies,
Mourning Cloaks, bees, flies, and the tiny white-blue fluffy insect that
appear at this time of year.

 

10/18/12 Sabattis Circle Road and Shaw Pond (Long Lake)

 

On a brief drive of Sabattis Circle Road in the afternoon, a Common Loon was
observed on Little Tupper Lake, a group of 4 Ruffed Grouse were feeding by
the edge of the road, and 3 Gray Jays were found at Sabattis Bog.  One of
the Gray Jays was feeding on something in the grass all along the edge of
the road.

 

On Shaw Pond, flocks of Ring-necked Ducks and Wood Ducks continue at this
beautiful wetland with mountains behind (a very common place to find
photographers).  A River Otter floated on its back eating something that was
very bloody!

 

10/17/12 Massawepie Mire (southeastern St. Lawrence Co.) (1 p.m. to 6:30
p.m.)

 

Wednesday was a spectacular, warm, fall day with calm winds.  I hiked 5.5
miles round trip at Massawepie in the afternoon.  Out in the open bog, there
was not a breath of wind and one of the rare times in life where I was able
to revel in the "sounds" of silence.  Military jets boomed through the skies
shortly after - one of the human sounds that I just can't escape.  The
tamaracks needles have turned yellow and they glowed on Wednesday at the
mire!  The fall smells were lovely.  During hunting season, it can be nice
to hike at Massawepie on weekdays since the land is privately owned by a
hunt club.  Hunt club members tend to hunt on weekends, so the mire is quiet
midweek.

 

I found huge moose tracks by the bridge over the South Branch of the Grass
River - glad I didn't run into that animal!  I also found Black Bear tracks
farther in.  On my way out, I found a Red-bellied Snake (about 8" long) in
the road by the bridge over the South Branch of the Grass River.  It was
going into a lethargic mode for the night and I was able to pick it up to
look at its brilliant belly.  I moved it to the side of the road just in
case a club member happened to drive the road that night.  Here are some of
the 24 bird species found:

 

Ring-necked Duck - on Massawepie Lake

Ruffed Grouse - one drumming, heard both on the way in and way out at the
same location

Spruce Grouse - male found at exactly the same location where David Buckley
and I found a male on April 30th this year!  (I was wondering what this
species was up to as I hiked - this bird was foraging in brushy vegetation
on the ground.)

Common Loon - 3 on Massawepie Lake (I stopped at the canoe put-in on my
drive out.  It was almost dark and one of the loons was calling across the
lake, which was like a mirror with no wind - gorgeous!)

Merlin - at Silver Brook

American Woodcock - 2; one on the way in and one on the way out!

Black-backed Woodpecker - heard calling across the bog

Pileated Woodpecker

Gray Jay - at least 5 (one group of 4 observed about 2.3 miles in and
another bird heard vocalizing near the South Branch of the Grass River)

Common Raven

Boreal Chickadee - at least 3 about 1.75 miles in

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird - heard calling

Yellow-rumped Warbler

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Pine Siskin - the most abundant species! (Many groups of 2 or 3, but also
larger flocks of up to ~30 birds)

 

10/14/12 Shaw Pond in Long Lake

 

At least 2 Eastern Bluebirds were foraging over the pond (along with
Yellow-rumped Warblers).  A Merlin flew over, and flocks of Wood and
Ring-necked Ducks were observed.   Two beavers were swimming around together
across the pond and a muskrat was busy near where I was standing.

 

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to