I went over to Hempstead Lake State Park (HJSP) this morning to see if the 
previously reported Chat was present - no luck. Other birders reported the same 
results. However, taking  my normal "Spring" circuit of the park resulted in a 
decent variety of birds, including Brown Creeper, Golden-crowned Kinglet, and 
Brown Thrasher. The South Pond had Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, American Wigeon, 
and Ruddy Duck. Fortunately the rain held off and the windless conditions 
seemed ideal so I proceeded to Jones Beach/West End. There were plenty of Loons 
in the Inlet, and a smattering of Razorbills (nine total). The previously 
reported plover buddies (Piping & Semipalmated) were still at the north end of 
the West End jetty. Three Harlequin Ducks (two males and a female) were off the 
tip of the west End jetty. The highlight of the trip (bird-wise) were two 
dowitchers feeding in the brackish pond as viewed from the southeast corner of 
the WE2 parking lot. These birds were observed among the numerous Black Duck, 
and often hidden from view. Based on the bill length, and humped-backed 
appearance while feeding they are probably Long-billed Dowitchers. However, I 
did not hear them call and couldn't observe critical plumage details in order 
to be certain. 

On the way back from the WE2 jetty there was a seal hauled out on the beach. I 
took a few photos for identification and being concerned about the seals 
health, headed down to the T.R. Nature Center to inform the staff of the seals 
presence.  Based on my photos the seal was identified as a Gray Seal pup. The 
T.R. staff decided to head down the beach to determine the condition of the 
pup. I will put a few photos of the seal on my flickr site when I clear up some 
problems with my computer.

Ken Feustel
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to