This topic is going on in most States right now because of the  number of Snowy 
Owls moving down. I think singling out the photographers is wrong but honestly 
at least three quarters of the time when I see a "birder" make a dumb 
controversial decision he/she usually has a camera present. Not even just with 
owls but with birds in general. Here is my one quick example.
A few weeks back I visited a house in Madison, CT to see a Yellow-throated 
Warbler. Most birders stood back and to the side and waited for the Warbler to 
come in but we had to move our positions to see the feeders because two 
photographers showed up, walked 8-10 ft from the feeder, and set up right in 
front of us. (a) no consideration to the birders present, (b) no consideration 
to the tenants that lived there and (c) no consideration to the bird itself. 
All they cared about was getting that shot.
 I read a posting somewhere from a birder/photographer who was upset at what he 
witnessed while trying to photograph an Owl. I guess someone showed up and 
released a mouse so that they could get a few flight shots. This person wasn't 
mad because it might result in hurting the Owl itself BUT instead went on to 
talk about how this kind of action was causing the value in his flight shots to 
drop.  Glad to see that his priorities were in order!
Most birders that I know don't report Owls and it's been that way for years and 
I have to say that I'm more surprised when I see people reporting Owls because 
90% of the time it turns into a mess. Whether it's photographers or birders the 
fact is owls atract and when that happens nothing good ever comes out of it. 
Over the past two weeks I have been watching Barred, Saw-whet, and a Snowy Owl 
here in Connecticut and all have remained in the same areas because nobody 
knows about them and nobody bothers them. 
My attitude is if your serious about photographing owls and your serious about 
observing them then spend more time out looking for them and less time checking 
online for other people sightings.  
 
 
Mark Barriger
Wallingford, CT



 




From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Knee jerk reaction to 2 guys that just didn't get it
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:38:29 -0500








Hi all,
I was going to stay out of this thread because it’s an impossible situation. I 
come from 3 directions. I’m a long time birder, a professional wildlife 
photographer and a listowner of Metro Birding Briefs. As a listowner I’ve 
always discouraged posting of specific owl locations. Letting people know 
there’s a Barred Owl in Central Park is fine but saying it’s at lamppost 7902 
isn’t. Likewise, a Snowy Owl is being seen at Breezy Point, OK but telling 
people it’s in the third dune back, not as good. I personally believe that 
self-policing is the best solution. Just a week or so ago, I was at Jones Beach 
photographing the white Snowy Owl when somebody started approaching the owl in 
a quick herky jerky manner. Of course, the owl flew. I was the first to get to 
its new location and kind of set up a line where the owl wasn’t disturbed but 
close enough to take photos. The offending photographer arriver shortly after 
and started doing the same thing again. I told him he needed to stop and 
explained what he was doing was wrong. He listened, stayed a few more hours and 
never abused the bird again.
There are ways of making your point without being confrontational that are 
effective. There are also ways of approaching an owl or any other bird without 
alarming it but it requires a lot of patience. I won’t go into the technique 
but I took over 4000 images of “Whitey” and the bird always seemed quite 
serene. I haven’t really post many images but if you’re on Facebook I’m sure 
you can find a few. 
Educating new birders and photographers is essential as well as self-policing. 
Just my 3 cents.
 
All the best,
Lloyd
Lloyd Spitalnik Photography
www.lloydspitalnikphotos.com
 
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sam Stuart
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 10:19 AM
To: david speiser
Cc: NYS Birds
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Knee jerk reaction to 2 guys that just didn't get it
 

All,

 

We are responsible for the sightings we make and the people we share those 
with.  It is important to balance the need for documenting rare and irregular 
species vs. our desire to share these excellent sightings with others.  This is 
especially true when dealing with sightings of territorial and sedentary 
species that are more susceptible to disturbances.   These species should 
probably be documented on eBird (www.eBird.org) and the NY State Avian Records 
Committee (http://nybirds.org/NYSARC/nysarcform2.htm) rather than the list 
serve.  


 

Thanks,

Sam Stuart


 

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM, david speiser <[email protected]> 
wrote:


I too agree with Cindy's summation.
The birding community as a whole should not turn into insular cliques that make 
it easy
not to report when you know you will hear about the bird anyway.
Do we want this board to only report Herring Gull's except of course when a 
Ross' Gull shows up!
That would need to be kept secret.
 
Good birding,

David Speiser
www.lilibirds.com
 




Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 06:14:22 -0800
From: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Knee jerk reaction to 2 guys that just didn't get it
To: [email protected]


 


To echo Janet's post and in response to Stella's - I too have seen 
photographers being insensitive to snowy owls, on other ocassions. I remember 
one time there was a fantastic photo op for one particular owl at Jones Beach a 
few years ago.... I even took one of my kids out of school so he could see this 
beautiful bird. (there were actually TWO owls at the beach that day! We saw 
both of them!). The first, "poster bird" was sitting on a dune, with at least a 
half dozen photographers snapping away at a distance of about 15 feet. Maybe 
not even that. Unbelievable but true. The second bird was more skittish and was 
sitting by itself, closer to the beach. However, as my son and I were watching 
it, a jogger running along the beach passed it too closely (not seeing the 
bird) and the owl flushed, flying overhead and away. You just can't win!

 

I disagree, however, that owls should not be mentioned on these birding 
listservs. I would think that's just the beginning of a slippery slope....first 
owls are kept secret, then perhaps a first-of-state nesting, or other rare 
bird.... who's to say an inconsiderate photographer, or birder (yes, those 
exist as well, I had the experience of one in my own back yard!), will get 
close enough to ANY noteworthy bird to shoo it off and ruin the experience for 
everyone else (not to mention stressing the bird!)?

 

Keeping sightings limited to "word of mouth" severely restricts who sees what, 
turning birding (or the viewing of certain species) into a private club of 
sorts - with only the elite "inner circle" allowed to participate. I for one 
don't go birding regularly in winter, preferring to just go out for rarities, 
and am not in anyone's cell phone contact list. I usually don't like birding in 
a crowd. I know a few "key" people but nobody really well. Word of mouth 
wouldn't work for me and wouldn't work for many other respectable, but more 
casual birders who might come from out of the area just to see an owl, or any 
other noteworthy bird. 

 

There's no way to completely eliminate the problem. There will be clueless 
joggers, dogs and their owners, and kids flushing the birds in addition to the 
photographers and selfish birders who show up. You can't put a fence around 
these birds. I believe that by posting photos or names (or even license plates) 
of the perpetrators, they will eventually learn that it's not worth their while 
to do what they're doing. Or they won't care and the occasional bird may suffer 
an uncomfortable moment or two. I still think that's better than a whole lot of 
decent, good folks losing out on something really special. 

 

have a great day!

Cindy Wodinsky

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

Welcome and Basics 

Rules and Information 

Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive

Surfbirds

BirdingOnThe.Net

Please submit your observations to eBird!

--



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

Welcome and Basics 

Rules and Information 

Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive

Surfbirds

BirdingOnThe.Net

Please submit your observations to eBird!

--


-- 

-Sam

 
(917) 209-2566
@surfbird917 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pasurfbird/

 
 

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

Welcome and Basics 

Rules and Information 

Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive

Surfbirds

BirdingOnThe.Net

Please submit your observations to eBird!

--
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
Welcome and Basics 
Rules and Information 
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
Archives:
The Mail Archive
Surfbirds
BirdingOnThe.Net
Please submit your observations to eBird!
--                                        
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to