The exceptionally calm conditions on Sunday made for excellent viewing of
waterbirds on Gardiner's Bay, the outer portion of the Peconic Estuary and
situated between the south and north forks of Long Island (Suffolk Co).
Scanning from various vantage points between Hog Creek in Springs and
Montauk Inlet (<20 miles of bay front), I tallied close to 6,000 waterbirds
including 724 RED-THROATED, 489 COMMON LOONS, 128 HORNED GREBES, 58 GANNETS
and 125 RAZORBILLS. The rest were predominantly scoter (white-winged and
Surf) and Long-tailed Duck.

It would be interesting to know how far up into the Peconic Bay the
Razorbills have percolated (Riverhead birders could perhaps address this)
and unless the conditions change, I'd predict hefty cumulative tallies from
the upcoming LI and coastal CT CBCs. In addition to OK numbers of
Razorbills at Montauk Point, small numbers were noted on the ocean side of
the peninsula on Saturday and thus seem widespread. The influx of Horned
Grebes in the past few days was noticeable, having seen fewer than 20 at
these same sites the week before. At two spots I witnessed an usual
flocking behavior (also noted by Hugh McGuinness and Peter Polshek in Fort
Pond Bay, Montauk) of tight flocks of more than 20 grebes fishing in
unison, much like miniature cormorants. When seen from a distance, the
identity of these fast diving birds may not be immediately clear. Among the
commoner species I noted 5 RED-NECKED GREBES, three on Fort Pond Bay, one
off Culloden Point and another at Montauk Inlet, where an adult ICELAND
GULL has been frequenting the jetties.

Three BALD EAGLES continue to frolic over Gardiner's Island (present since
19 Nov). On Sunday the adult was relentlessly chasing the two immature
birds up and down the Cartwright [sand] Shoals. I'm not aware of any Brown
Pelican sightings from this weekend.

Interestingly, despite counting close to 5,000 waterbirds on Sunday (and
many more in the preceding couple of weeks) I've yet to see a single Common
Goldeneye in my wandering around the South Fork this season. They always
seem to be among the last arrivals of the commoner waterfowl, usually close
to or just after the arrival of Horned Grebes. I'm aware of a handful of
reports from the North Fork already and from western Long Island.

-- 
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to