Alan et al.,
The birds in your photo are hybrids of barnyard x Canada Geese. Note the
large size (larger than Canada) and heavy build of the birds. The Canada Goose
face pattern is distinct. Pink-footed Geese are smaller than a Canada Goose.
Further, there has been a group (4-6 ind.) of hybrid barnyard x Canada Geese
that have been summer residents at the Rondout Reservoir in Sullivan/Ulster
counties for the past five years. They have departed every winter and no one
(that I am aware of) knew where they wintered until this past winter when I
found the same birds wintering on on Albany Post Road and the Wallkill River at
Lippencott Road (Orange/Ulster Co.) I observed them there at least half a dozen
times through the winter. Though I can't say with absolute certainty, the birds
you photographed are dead ringers for the birds I've become familiar with and
Middletown is not far as a goose flies. John Haas
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--