On an after dinner walk this evening in the Massapequa Preserve I observed a 
least bittern in the pond north of the USGS Gauging Station (the 2nd pond north 
of Clark Boulevard). I was sitting on the bench that overlooks this small pond 
for a few minutes when a male least bittern flew out of the phragmites on the 
e/s/o the pond (about halfway up the pond) and flew north landing in the 
phragmites at the north end of the pond, in full view.  I watched it for about 
five minutes; at first it clung to a phrag stem but then moved down and to the 
right ending up out of sight, in the northeastern corner of the pond, screened 
behind a closer growth of phragmites.  I did not see it in that spot again. I 
sat for 45 minutes and as it was beginning to get dark I got up to leave when 
another (or the same?) least bittern flew across the pond from the western side 
of the pond to the eastern side, about halfway up the pond (landing at about 
the same spot the first bird left from). With the fading light I couldn't make 
out if it was a male or female.  Given the fact I never saw the first bird fly 
from the northeastern corner to the western side of the pond I think, but am 
not positive, it was a second least bittern.  

I intend to scope out the pond tomorrow evening in an effort to determine if 
there is a single bird or a pair........     

Also had a beautiful view of five barn swallows perched on a single phragmites 
stem arching over the water........
 
John Turner

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to