This evening I went for a kayak trip and found a Least Tern colony in
Flanders Bay on a spit of land that is inaccessible via foot.  There looked
to be about 25 pairs of birds occupying the bit of land.  I had noticed a
plover yesterday nearby so it is possible that there are plovers breeding
on-site, but I didn't get out on foot to check.  I assume that the Nature
Conservancy or the State knows about the site since there was some fencing -
but clearly hasn't been attended to this year so if anyone knows more about
this feel free to contact me, I certainly wouldn't mind doing some
"counting" of the birds given my proximity to the site and past experience
as a plover/tern monitor.

There were several short-billed dowitchers, semi-palmated sanderlings and
willets.  Some of these birds, interestingly enough, were feeding on
horseshoe crab eggs that had just been laid as I watched the pair of crabs
separate and go back into the water as the birds fed where they had been.
 Photos can be seen here:
http://birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com/2011/06/least-tern-colony.html

For those of you interested in herpetology I photographed a Diamond-backed
Terrapin heading back into the water, presumably after laying eggs.  For
photos of that, check out my other blog here:
http://wildlongisland.blogspot.com/2011/06/diamond-backed-terrapin.html

-- 
- Luke Ormand, Flanders

www.birdsoflongisland.blogspot.com

www.wildlongisland.blogspot.com

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to