Yesterday I reported on counts of Great  Egrets and other colonial 
waterbirds on Motor Island (in the Niagara  River) on June 6 that were made 
from the 
Sheridan Boat Launch between 6:15  AM and 7:53 AM EDT. 
 
In the email I said "This human  disturbance [such as the possible shooting 
of Double-crested  Cormorants]  may also, in part, explain the drop in 
Great Egret  numbers from a high of 140 on May 4th to 28 on June 6."  In the 
email I  should not have compared a evening count on May 4th to a morning count 
on June  6th. In the morning many egrets are foraging for there young and 
not on Motor  Island so it was an unfair comparison. Yesterday in the evening 
between 8:38 and  9:44 PM I again counted the egrets on Motor Island. 
Between 8:38 and 8:48 PM I  carefully counted the Great Egrets three time and 
recorded the highest number. I  then observed and counted: adding egrets coming 
into the Motor Island and  subtracting for egrets leaving the Motor Island. 
Results were recorded  approximately every 10 minutes or when there was a 
break in the action. To my  surprise many egrets were leaving the island and 
nearly all of these egrets flew  south. David Gordon joined me later, and 
while I was continuing to watch and  count egrets at Motor Island, Dave made 
some counts on Strawberry Island  and thought there may have been 32 egrets, 
but was uncertain because of the  lighting conditions, as by then it was 
very dark. I will make an egret count on  Strawberry Island in the near future. 
Below are the net results of the egret  counting on Motor Island on the 
evening of June 7:
8:38-8:43-----32 Great Egrets
8:43-8:57-minus2 Great Egrets
8:57-9:08-----+3 Great Egrets
9:08-9:23-----+9 Great Egrets
9:23-9:32-----+1 Great Egrets
9:23-9:44-----+0 Great Egrets
--------------43 total Great Egrets 
 
Apparently, about 35% of the Great Egrets at Motor  Island are out foraging 
in the early morning hours this time of year. 
 
Best Wishes for Great Birding,
Bill Watson
Tonawanda, NY
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to