Hi Benjamin and all,

I posted a couple of videos the Kentucky at Rockefeller that is your Bird B, and a spectrogram of its song, recorded by Drew. The song is really neat and the spectrogram shows the differences between the first 5 notes and the last 3. We have it on a page along with the spectrogram we posted last year of last year's bird.

It has certainly been fun comparing the songs, and the harmonics seen in Drews new audio (check Single Song in the TOC) are quite beautiful. [Note that the Plumbeous Vireo audio has an even prettier spectrogram.]

Videos at: <http://www.birdsongid.com/video/warblers/kentucky/>http://www.birdsongid.com/video/warblers/kentucky/

Video 1 for iPhone: <http://www.birdsongid.com/video/warblers/kentucky/iphone1.m4v>http://www.birdsongid.com/video/warblers/kentucky/iphone1.m4v

Audiospectrograms: <http://www.birdsongid.com/audio/spectrograms/kentuckywarbler/>http://www.birdsongid.com/audio/spectrograms/kentuckywarbler/

Trudy
www.birdsongid.com


At 01:51 PM 6/5/2011, Benjamin Van Doren wrote:
Hi all,

There are currently two singing Kentucky Warblers at Rockefeller SP (only one has been reported, I believe). One is near the northern junction of Ash Tree Loop and Overlook Trail (it moves from northeast of the junction to south of it, singing from, I assume, the edges of its territory). This bird (Bird A) has a normal song. The second bird (Bird B) is singing a two-parted song, coming from just southwest of the southern junction of those two trails. They are not the same bird, as I've heard both songs delivered in immediate succession from the different spots, repeatedly.

At one point, Bird A flew to the southern edge of its territory (I saw it), to have a singing duel with Bird B. I'm also hearing a regular song from the south (as Bird A sings from the north), but I assume Bird B is simply switching between songs. The alternative would be, of course, that there are actually three singing Kentucky Warblers in this general area. I wonder if there are any females around...unlikely, I would guess, as these birds are singing frequently in midday--and so are probably unpaired. Still, something to keep track of!

Good birding,

Benjamin Van Doren
White Plains, NY

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Gertrude (Trudy) Battaly
[email protected], www.battaly.com , www.birdsongid.com
Saw-whets:  http://www.battaly.com/banding/
Hook Mountain: http://www.battaly.com/hook/
Fire Island Hawk Watch:  http://www.battaly.com/fire/
NEHW:  http://www.battaly.com/nehw/


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to