In reverse order: 1) Hunter's Garden- FOS Veery
2) Grumman Grasslands- FOS Grasshopper Sparrow
(singing)
3) Rocky Point D/E/C Property- FOS E.Kingbird
- FOS A.
Redstart (pair, foraging together)
- FOS Scarlet Tanager
- Orchard Oriole (pair, foraging
together)
- My
attention was first drawn to the p/P/V as it continually went round and round
across the 2' wide path, about 20' ahead of me. I
watched it do this for ~
2 min., until it just collapsed in the middle of the trail. I thought it had
died (it had been clearly distressed), but as
I started to move past the vole, it
jumped up and started to circle again, albeit, at a somewhat slower pace. This
cycle repeated itself twice
more, the last ending with the animal lying very still,
just off the path. I left with 4 images that should make for a correct
identification. I then contacted Steve Biasetti of The Group for the
East End, who, after hearing my descriptions of the animal and the
habitat,
gave me 3 species to "google"- 2 voles, and a screw. After doing my "homework",
I settled on the Pine Vole, which also happened
to be Steve's best guess, without
seeing the images...which he'll have by tomorrow.
Cheers,
Bob
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--