I decided to investigate Benjamin's findings. Instead of ideal conditions, I 
had fog then rain at Playland then the Read Sanctuary on Monday. I arrived very 
late in the day Sunday but despite the lateness saw a single Mute Swan in the 
Marsh and a Bald Eagle very late off the Wall. So NO Scoters nor Long-tailed 
Ducks nor Grebes on Monday. Despite the weather I still had 32 species for the 
day topped by a pair of King Eiders off the Wall and FOY Am. Widgeons off 
Playland. Then the Read Sanctuary which had a huge flock of Scaup considering 
the small Lake. Closer to Playland were Buffleheads, more Scaup, Canvasbacks, 
at least one Redhead, and a striking Great Cormorant. Early on I noted a Hooded 
Merganser momentarily then never refound it until my final scan when it showed 
and continued. A highlight was my FOY Killdeer then more nearer the Sanctuary. 
What a day. The feeders at the Sanctuary drew a nice variety of species and two 
very nice Sanctuary folks that filled the feeders. Thank you Benjamin. Jerry 
LazarczykGrand Island NY

Hi all,Kyle Bardwell and I birded Croton Point this morning. Highlights 
included three Common Redpolls and two Snow Buntings flying over the old 
landfill. Bald Eagles were omnipresent, as usual. An immature Red-shouldered 
Hawk was perched on a rock protruding from the water at the Croton Train 
Station (which held virtually no waterfowl).�At Read Sanctuary in Rye 
this afternoon, Surf and White-winged Scoters (very roughly 250+ and 150+, 
respectively) continue off the beach. Still a large raft of Long-tailed Ducks 
too (around�400, unless I missed some), but smaller than in previous 
weeks.�Good viewing conditions combined with the convenient passage of a 
large boat allowed me to pick out one female Black Scoter among them after much 
persistence (this species has been scarce off Westchester County this winter). 
Numbers of Horned Grebes have also increased recently--there were 
conservatively over 20 present, including one group of seven (compared to only 
a couple at the beginning of the year). The warmer temperatures have opened up 
Playland Lake more in recent weeks as well--hundreds of Lesser Scaup (with a 
few Greaters mixed in) were feeding, plus the usual 15-20 Canvasbacks. One 
Common Redpoll late in the afternoon around the feeders.Good birding,Benjamin 
Van DorenWhite Plains, NY
____________________________________________________________
$65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/4d6ca32f1bdb85921e1st01duc
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to