There seem to be good numbers of *COMMON REDPOLLS* in coastal areas today
(Sun 20 Feb). I noted birds at four locations this afternoon including at
least 119 birds at Hither Hill State Park near Montauk. This was reduced to
'at least 118' when one was snatched by a persistent M*ERLIN*. Actually I am
wondering if Merlins have a taste for Redpolls because another was
repeatedly chasing three Redpolls at Hook Pond in East Hampton, and actually
first drew my attention to them. A couple of *PINE SISKINS* are still coming
my somewhat neglected feeders in Springs and were joined today by a single
Redpoll. Doubtless there are many more redpolls around, as I checked just a
few spots mid-afternoon with a fair rate of success. Similar reports are
also coming in from coastal MA, RI, CT and NJ.

Several small groups of Bonaparte's Gulls were working westward along the
ocean beaches in the afternoon during slack tide and a flock of 100 or so at
Hither Hills included a 1st winter *BLACK-HEADED GULL*. I don't know yet if
this could be the same or different from the East Hampton bird reported
yesterday. 26 *PURPLE SANDPIPERS* were on the large boulders to the east of
Ditch Plains and a 2nd cy* ICELAND GULL *and 4 *GREAT CORMORANTS* were on
the west side of Montauk Inlet.  'Larry' the Lazy Point *LESSER BLACK-BACKED
GULL* was on station as usual at the narrow channel at the western end of
Hick's Island.

Yesterday (Sat 19 Feb), I had frustrating views of an adult *ROSS'S
GOOSE*in the fields west of Short's Pond, almost certainly the bird
seen by a
number of parties last weekend. The goose flew over me as I was parked on
the side of Cook's Lane and landed in the middle of the agricultural fields
on the west side of Cook's Lane with about 1000 *CANADA GEESE*. These large,
rolling fields are between Cook's Lane and Noyak Path in Watermill.
Unfortunately, the viewing on this side is difficult because the road is
lower than the fields and because of the undulating nature of the landscape.
I watched the Ross's graze for a minute or two before it disappeared into a
depression and vanished. The limited viewing was underscored by a flock of
seven *SNOW GEESE* that flew in from the east and disappeared from sight the
instant they landed. Despite looking for another fourty minutes or so, I did
not re-sight any of the white geese but presume they were still hidden in
the middle of the large flock. Checking the geese in this area requires some
patience and a telescope. I would urge against straying off the road so as
avoid antagonizing the landowners but there a few spots where you can pull
over and scope. Yesterday's biting cold winds did not help at all. A
single*CACKLING GOOSE
* was among several hundred Canada Geese on fields at the corner of Long
Lane and Stephen Hands Path in East Hampton. Lastly, an adult *LESSER
BLACK-BACK GULL* was roosting with other gulls at Sagg Mains in
Bridgehampton. I did not see the Tundra Swan that was reported last weekend
but did not really try that hard either.

-- 
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to