I visited the WE boat basin this morning, and was pleased to observe numerous 
Bonaparte's Gulls feeding up and down the inlet. On a hunch I decided to walk 
the east side of the inlet with the express purpose of looking for Little Gull 
in the flocks of Bonaparte's.  On my route there was a female Harlequin Duck 
that splashed into the boat basin as well as a pair of Common Eider feeding 
near Meadow Island (north side of Jones Inlet). Passing the Fisherman's parking 
lot I noticed a flock of some 150 Bony's feeding right along the shore. i 
observed them for a while and then noticed a small gull with dusky underwings - 
Little Gull!  The bird appeared to be a second winter bird, a plumage I have 
encountered infrequently over the years. Some photos of the bird can be found 
at:

www.flickr.com/photos/kfeustel/sets/72157625314535051

The Northern Shrike continued at the TR Nature Center where it was perching on 
metal posts east of the entrance to the boardwalk. 

Belated Report: On Thursday (11/18) an immature Bald Eagle was observed by Sue 
Feustel and others flying west along the Ocean Parkway opposite Cedar Overlook 
Beach. 

Ken Feustel

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to