More on the Ground Dove today:

   I first saw the bird at the green buoy at 1:58.  From my parked car, I saw 
it pretty well for about 3 seconds, released the seatbelt, looked back and the 
bird had disappeared.  I did not refind it.

  Around 2:35 I encountered a birder walking along the paved path that leads 
down to the southern parking lot.  She said she had seen the bird at 2:20 right 
there along that path.  I gather it was a brief sighting.  This is very close 
to the green buoy.

   She, I, and least five other birders looked for the bird with no success 
until 3:45, when I decided to give the green buoy one more try. As I was parked 
there facing east, using the telephone, I saw the bird appear "from nowhere" at 
virtually the same place I saw it at 1:58.  I watched it for around 15 seconds, 
then drove off to alert the others. I found five of them. I believe some of 
them succeeded in seeing the bird.

   However, to reiterate what Shai Mitra posted a week ago, I think they would 
have had more success if they had not tried to walk up to the bird.  The bird 
is pretty skittish. Use your car as a blind.


Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY



--- On Sat, 11/13/10, Robert Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

> From: Robert Lewis <[email protected]>
> Subject: [nysbirds-l] Saturday update Common Ground Dove - YES
> To: "NYSBIRDS" <[email protected]>
> Date: Saturday, November 13, 2010, 2:31 PM

> I saw the bird at 1:58 pm at the
> green buoy.
> 
> Bob Lewis
> Sleepy Hollow NY
>


      

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to