Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 23:12:34 -0500
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: Re: FW: Trying for "the booby prize"






Hello Bob , I'm sorry you weren't able to get a view of the booby and I'm also 
sorry to report there is a reason why. Ill explain.  Last night Cathy was 
driving home from Manhattan after picking up an injured redtailed hawk from the 
Animal Medical Center when her cell phone rang. It was someone we know calling 
about a  booby she had rescued from a canal in Freeport later the same day it 
was released. Seems it was witnessed flying north up the canal and mistakenly 
struck the support lines of a sail on a large sailboat. It maneuvered to a 
ladder on this backyard dock where she was able to net it and then proceed to 
notify us.
We were 99.9 percent sure it was the same bird but there was just a bit of 
doubt untill much comparison of the earlier pictures. Untill we had it x rayed 
today and had any definitive information we didnt want to cause any more 
publicity about it. Our apologies for anyone interested enough like yourself 
who made attempts to spot it while it was here for treatment. Just tonight we 
found out it now has a fractured radius/ulna of the right wing. Its the 
equivalent of breaking the 2 bones between your wrist and elbow. They are still 
in good alignment but our regular vet will decide tomorrow if surgery is 
recommended. They are difficult enough to keep healthy short term in captivity 
so this will be especially challenging but I assure everyone that if anybody 
can help this bird I trust Cathy more than I would anybody else. She is the 
most amazing caregiveryou could ever meet . I know people write about me but 
she is the real backbone of our operation where it comes to medical attention. 
It is a serious injury and there are many challenges ahead including suppling 
live fish , immobolizing the injury and keeping it calm enough while it heals 
that it doesn't cause any other problems. I have no doubt the bird was fully 
flighted when it took off from Jones Beach but in this business there are no 
guarantees of success. We can only offer a second or hopefully in this case a 
third chance at freedom.The rest is up to the animal to figure it out. If you 
don't mind too much could you please pass these circumstances along so perhaps 
I can save more folks for looking unneccessarily . We appreciate your support 
and will update any new information as we know it. This isn't the first time a 
rehabbed animal got into trouble shortly after release and certainly will not 
be the last but it is sad for all involved with the whole process. Thanks, 
Bobby 
 
 
 
Oct 3, 2010 09:29:09 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> 
> 
>
>

From: [email protected]
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Trying for "the booby prize"
>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 22:21:34 -0400
>
> 

>
For the 2nd day in a row, I looked for the Brown Booby at the J.B. Fishing 
Pier, 
>Coast Guard area, and of course, all the land, sea, and air I could safely 
>peruse, while motoring between both state parks. To no surprise, I couldn't 
>find 
>it... only to wonder how far afield it got, a full day after being released? 

>
While at J.B., I did see my FOS Prairie W. and D-e Junco.

>
Cheers, Bob
>

>

>                                         
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to