After getting a haircut in my old neighborhood around noon, I decided to stop
by Floyd Bennett (Brooklyn NY) again to see if there were any shorebirds and or
gulls roosting on the runways due to the inclement weather and the high tide
(which was 2:00 p.m.). The wind was gusting at 30 mph+ and it was raining much
of the time, but I was rewarded with the following:
10 AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS
9 juveniles and 1 adult; 5 of the juveniles landed together
stayed for about 1 minute and then flew off to the
north
1 of the juveniles seemed to have-at least in my initial viewing-
shorter primary extension than the others. I had not brought my camera as I
had not really been planning on birding, but a call to Andrew Baksh found him
out birding nearby and willing to come and photograph the bird.(Thanks Andrew)
Luckily it stayed around, but closer scrutiny revealed 3 primaries past the
tertials and primaries ddecidedlylonger than the tail.
Other shorebirds:
233 BB Plovers
4 RED KNOT
2 Pectoral Sandpipers
4 SB Dowitchers
2 Semipalmated Sandpipers
1 Least Sandpiper
2 Dunlin
3 Killdeer
8 Semipalmated Plovers
1 Ruddy Turnstone
I have a feeling that with the strong NW winds tonight that most of these birds
won't be long for these parts (though some of the BB Plovers might stick
around).
Good birding tomorrow to those of you going afield (I'll be working :-()
Shane Blodgett
Brooklyn NY
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--