From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]
Subject: 
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:55:54 -0400








On Tuesday, 9/14, I was at the Robert Moses Hawk Watch, from approx. 
mid-morning to noon. The wind was out of the west, making for few hawks, none 
of which I saw. The only real activity being a steady supply of Tree Swallows, 
supplementted by 6-8 "hauling" hummers", 4 of which I managed to see.
On the way home I stopped at the sod farm in Shoreham, which can be viewed from 
the s/s of Route 25A, and from the n/s of Cooper St., which runs e/o Randall 
Rd., about .3 mile s/o it's intersection with Rt. 25A. This farm is best 
described as being s/o the cluster that holds a small shopping center, a school 
bus yard, a firehouse, and the post office.  Most of the activity was from the 
n/w corner of the field, including: 1 Semipalmated Plover; 25+ Killdeer; 3 
Pectoral Sp; 3 Least Sp.; 1 Buff-breasted Sp. Gary Struas arrived in time to 
also see  the above. It was good to see him up and about, with all of his " 
pre-Cupsogue birding zest" in place!
I had stopped at Cooper St. first, finding only 8 Killdeers & 3 Least Sp., in 
and around a wet area. The peeps and 3 of the killdeer were on the edge of the 
water, while 2 more of the KILL were standing in the water, washing & splashing 
away. The remaining 3 Killdeer were sitting in the water, submerged to 
"mid-breast", and stayed that way for at least 10 minutes. I had never 
witnessed this "sits-bath technique" by Killdeer before.
Cheers, Bob                                       
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to