Towards the end of my birding today I was walking towards my car parked in
Field
2(the main parking lot) and saw a pocket of bird activity near the picnic
benches just north of Field 1. I decided to go and check it out and was
rewarded with amazing views of a Yellow-throated Warbler amongst several
Magnolias, 1 Prairie, 6 "Western" Palms, and 1 Wilson's warbler. The birds
were
moving east in the small strip of forest that borders the boardwalk just north
of all the picknic tables; the Yellow-throated warbler was going in and out of
the shrubbery and after twenty minutes of following I lost sight of him. I
suspect he is still in that general area because the Prairie and Wilson's
warbler that were foraging with him still remained in that vicinity. In
addition to that, I had a total of 17 species of warbler by the end of my
excursion which was from 8:00am-12:30pm.
Yellow- 2
Chestnut-sided- 1
Magnolia- several
Yellow-rumped- increased to 7
Black-throated Green- 2
Blackburnian- 1 male
Prairie- 1
Palm- 6 "Western"
Bay-breasted- 1
Blackpoll- 3
Yellow-throated- 1
Black-and-white- several
American Redstart- several
Ovenbird-5
Common Yellowthroat- 2
Wilson's- 1
Canada- 1 female
Other birds of interest included a flyoverMerlin,Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 3
Veery, 2 Swainson's Thrush, 1 Wood Thrush, 1 Scarlet Tanager, 2 Least
Flycatchers, and 2 Yellow-bellied Flycatchers.
Certain parts of the park were dead with no activity whatsoever; however, there
was a lot of action that took place along the park road near the golf
course. Something that was interesting to me was what seemed like a flock
comprised solely of flycatchers: 2 Least, 1 Yellow-bellied, 2 Great-crested, 1
Willow/Alder, 2 Pewees, and 4 Eastern Phoebes.
Vinny Pellegrino
picasaweb.com/vinnypelle
East Northport, NY
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--