Today I birded the Ramble, including the Maintenance Field, from 8:30 am to 
noon, and must remark that my experiences there were completely different from 
those reported by others. 
    Having learned of the report that 18 Warbler species had been found in the 
Park prior to 10 am, I expected to see many Warbler species even though I was 
not birding the North End. In those 3 1/2 hours, birding all of the Ramble plus 
(or including the Maintenance Field) and the surrounding areas, I was able to 
identify only six (6) species of Warbler, namely Northern Waterthrush, 
Black-and-white Warbler, American Redstart (many immatures), Ovenbird, Northern 
Parula and Chestnut-sided Warbler. I spoke with at least a half dozen other 
regular Central Park birders, who were able to add Blue-winged, Common 
Yellowthroat, Canada, Nashville and Magnolia, for a grand total of ELEVEN (11)  
Warbler species (with a possible one or two others) by a half dozen veteran 
Central Park birders. Obviously the Warblers must have vacated the Park early.
    I birded the Maintenance Field from 8:30 to 8:45 (immediately following the 
time period another birder reported at least a dozen Warbler species), and, 
together with an excellent British birder and another Central Park veteran, we 
located NO (0) Warbler species. Amazing how fast this previous flock must have 
moved on.
     Every other birder I talked to remarked how slow it was and how the Ramble 
had produced only a few small pockets of activity. Guess birding really is a 
question of timing or coincidence 
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to