Having struck out on the Jamaica Bay Barrow's Goldeneye 2 weekends ago, I
decided to venture a little less far from home, and instead took a chance on
the annual visitor up in Bayville, despite a total lack of reports over the
last several weeks regarding its whereabouts. The trip up to the north shore
paid off with nice scope views of the drake Barrow's within 100 yards of
shore off Centre Island. It took some patience and effort to spot though.
It was not among the Common Goldeneyes visible from the sandy beach west of
the entrance to Centre Island. But luckily the tide was dropping, allowing
me to walk east along the rocky beach at the base of the seawall. This
vantage point offered views farther east on the Sound which is where the
Barrow's was swimming, accompanied by a single female COGO. The pair,
initially farther offshore than the rafts of COGOs, eventually joined up
with them. I spent at least 45 minutes watching the BAGO dive for food,
preen for an extended period, and just swim about. There was little else
of note on the Sound other than scattered small flocks of Greater Scaup.

A short visit to nearby Shu Swamp Preserve yielded 2 Rusty Blackbirds
perched high in a Tulip poplar, a Winter Wren, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Jones Beach west end was generally quiet, with no Lapland Longspurs or
extraordinary gulls found. But I was treated to the spectacle of a flock
containing over 1000 Dunlin (and several Sanderling) as it alternatively
carpeted the beach and jetty near Jones Inlet, or wheeled in unison through
the sky whenever the birds were spooked by people walking the beach. I
captured some video I'll be uploading later here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to