I spotted five Rough-legged Hawks (3 dark morphs, 2 light) and five
Short-eared Owls during my mid/late afternoon visit to the Shawangunk
Grasslands today.  At least twice as many owls were reported just
recently, but with NE winds and the wet snow covering the landscape, I
was still blessed with the best seat in the house standing at the
eastern end of one airstrip: directly above me, two owls engaged one
another concerning a Meadow Vole that had been caught minutes before
the encounter.  Indeed, standing still enough, I found that any of the
hunting owls would routinely fly close enough at eye level to make the
spotting scope unnecessary.  Quite a show!!  The height of activity
for both the rough-leggeds and the owls were seemingly in lockstep
with the crows traveling to roost, so perhaps the cloud cover
thickening in advance of sunset proper played a hand here.

\\ Arthur

-- 
Arthur W. Green <[email protected]>
Chestnut Ridge Hawkwatch, Bedford, NY
http://www.bedfordaudubon.org/hawkwatch.html
http://www.hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=534

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to