After failing to connect with the Pink-footed Goose for a third time early
this morning at Sunken Meadow State Park (also checking King's Park High
School and Nissequogue S.P.) I headed to Point Lookout, hoping to partake
of the Kittiwake parade. Thankfully I was successful at that, able to make
positive IDs on at least 9 of the gulls. The first was a first-winter bird
which flew a short distance into the inlet before reversing course. The
second was an adult spotted ~250-300 yards offshore between the two western
jetties. I followed the bird through my scope until it landed on the water
among a small raft of 7-8 other kittiwakes. All eventually took off and
flew farther offshore. Also seen inshore were 10-12 Common Eider, a few
Red-throated Loons, and several Bonaparte's Gulls. 110-120 Sanderlings and
2 Dunlin were out on the easternmost jetty. A single Pipit flew overhead,
heading east across the inlet.

I next checked the dump area and the narrow wooded strip which borders the
north end of the parking lot. Except for a Cooper's Hawk that made life
interesting for a large flock of Starlings, things were generally quiet.
That is until I came across a pocket of activity at the eastern end of the
aforementioned wooded strip. Most of the birds there were House Sparrows,
Juncos, and House Finches, but then a small, bright greenish bird caught my
attention. At first glance I thought it was an Orange-crowned Warbler, but
further observation revealed characters inconsistent with that ID. Most
notable were the bird's intense coloration, an almost chartreuse green that
was brightest on the uppertail coverts. I've never seen an O-c Warbler that
colorful. But even more telling were the white undertail coverts and narrow
but distinct wing bars. The bird's underparts also lacked the blurry streaks
typical on OCWA, instead being unmarked with a pale yellow wash on the
breast that extended down the flanks. According to Bull this would match the
extreme late date for the species. I uploaded 2 frames from video I captured
of the warbler to my Flickr page, located here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/

I finished my day afield at Jones Beach west end, where I walked the outer
beach to the inlet. Offshore I saw another 5 Kittiwakes (4 first-winter,
1 adult), 12 Common Eider, 1 Laughing Gull and a fair number of Gannets.
Also saw my first pinniped of the season, a Harbor Seal.




-- 

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to