Hi all,

 

The Western Grebe reported yesterday from Piermont Pier, Rockland Co. was
still present and observed by numerous people throughout the day. I observed
and photographed the bird from about 1 to 2 PM. It was seen mid-pier on the
south (downriver) side, approximately 150 to 200 ft offshore. It kept close
company with a small raft of Bufflehead and Ruddy Duck. 

 

During the hour I watched the bird, it loafed and preened but never dove
(contrary to Westerns I've observed on the west coast). Close examination of
several of my photographs show that the bird is entangled in fishing line
and terminal-tackle (at least a leader, swivel, and red bead). I cannot tell
if the bird is hooked or simply wrapped in the line. There is the
possibility that the bird is injured. Photographs of the bird are available
on the Rockland Audubon website (see below).

 

 

Photographs:

http://www.rocklandaudubon.org/

 

 

Directions:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8
<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1120968367446066028
96.00043980ef10f73dd8dcb&ll=41.043077,-73.901811&spn=0.021977,0.038495&t=k&z
=15>
&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112096836744606602896.00043980ef10f73dd8dcb&ll=41.043077,-
73.901811&spn=0.021977,0.038495&t=k&z=15

 

 

Alan Wells

Rockland Audubon Society


-- 

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to