This evening around 5:30pm, two Common Nighthawks were hunting in the open
field on the border of East Northport and Commack on Clay Pitts Road. The
birds caught my attention when I was driving home and looked into the field
with two birds that had the distinct nighthawk flight and behavior. I pulled
into the parking lot and watched the nighthawks for a little bit. To my
surprise was getting my first of the season Mourning warbler foraging in the
southeast corner which happens to be brushy second-growth with a house on the
other side of the fence. This field happens to be two blocks from my house, so
I will be making more pitstops here during fall migration to see
what other birds I can discover.
Vinny Pellegrino
www.flickr.com/pellegrinov
East Northport, NY
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've
imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--