The *BLACK TERN* show continues in Napeague Harbor (Suffolk Co), viewed from
Lazy Point on the western side of this shallow bay. The Black Terns - a nice
mix of molting adults and birds in smart juvenile/formative plumage - were
dip feeding all over the bay and roosting on the shellfish hatchery floats
at the north end along with several hundred Roseate and Common Terns. The
latter two species appeared to be feeding on the ocean and flying back and
forth over Route 27.  I kayaked across the channel so as to get a better
look at the roosting birds and made several single sweep counts, with a
maximum of *261 *Black Terns. I only noted a single Forster's Tern in the
mix and a handful of Least Terns. A basic-plumaged *COMMON LOON* flew
overhead into Gardiner's Bay and a scattering of shorebirds around the bay
included 8 *WESTERN WILLET*.

There was a good ocean swell at Montauk Point, left over from yesterdays
storm, but relatively few birds. I noted a single *CORY'S SHEARWATER*,
5 *WILSON'S
STORM-PETRELS* and a paltry 10 Laughing Gulls (presumably this will build as
we enter the fall). Small groups of Common and Roseate Terns ranged widely
but did not form any significant feeding congregations.

Three *WHITE-WINGED SCOTER* flew past the Montauk Inet and 6 *PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS*, 2 Semipalmated Plovers, and 2 Black-bellied Plovers joined 18
Killdeer on the fields at the Deep Hollow Ranch on the south side of the
road. The pond on the north side is brimming (no shoreline) but I noted 4
Green-winged Teal and 2 Green Heron in the vegetation. I checked several
wooded and scrubby area but could find no evidence of any passerine
migration.

Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

-- 
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Reply via email to