On 8 Oct 2026, at 22:52, jslee <[email protected]> wrote:

looking for a PDP-11

Have you asked on the TUHS list?

http://tuhs.org/

John

Finally someone is noticing my signature !
This is actually a sarcastic reaction to an also sarcastic
statement by Theo "the man" himself:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=157083108327336&w=2

See my paper on the development of BSD's from UNIX:
https://www.saboua.xyz/UNIX.html

I was born in 1992 and got my first personal computer in 2006.
By the end of the year I was installing Linux and quickly
learned about the better BSD's:
https://www.saboua.xyz/BSD.html

Life soon after decided I had to be busy with other stuff and
I kept using Linux but away from computer Science itself for
roughly a decade.

To this day I keep a personal feud with FreeBSD for having
scared me away from OpenBSD and hence prevented me from
becoming a UNIX wizard.

At the time I first wrote the UNIX.html file I was not so aware
about the very early history of UNIX (and C, might I add).
This file has already been revisioned and I want to carry
on editing it in the near future, especially since I stumbled
upon two excellent videos from the Vintage Computer Federation
(links below) which allowed me to get a much better grasp.

VCF East: UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian Kernighan
https://youtu.be/WEb_YL1K1Qg
VCF East: Ken Thompson interviewed by Brian Kernighan
https://youtu.be/EY6q5dv_B-o

I may now change my signature to something else,
let me think ... I hope it won't be too long.

Dearly,
--
Sylvain Saboua
« J'ai compris que tout le malheur des hommes venait de
ce qu'ils ne tenaient pas un langage clair. J'ai pris le
parti alors de parler et d'agir clairement. » A. Camus

Reply via email to