/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I've been having trouble getting games to work (specifically Everquest
and Quake 3) over IP Masq.  I used to play Everquest about 6 months ago,
and it worked fine (I think i was using an early 2.2 kernel then).  Now
I can't get either game to work on a 2.0 or a 2.2 kernel.

If I turn kernel logging on for ipchains, then it logs that it is
forwarding the UDP packets (does PROTO=17 indicate UDP?) on port 5999 to
the client running Everuqest.  But if I look down at my network hub,
only the light for my machine that is running Everquest flashes, the
Masq machine doesn't.

Also,  everything else is working fine (IRC, AIM, WWW, FTP, etc.).

I have asked around on IRC for days, and no one knows what's wrong. I've
gone through the HOWTO and recompiled my kernel several times.  I've
look at all the Masq application pages that I can find. I even have a
friend who has IP Masq setup on a 2.2 kernel, and we checked nearly all
our configurations to make sure they were the same.  He can run both
Everquest and Quake 3 without loading any modules or making any kernel
patches, using just the default ipchains commands.

Everquest requires the following:
Client needs to open TCP connnection on port >= 1024 (random each time)
Client needs to receive TCP connection from patch.everquest.com, port
7000
(the above works fine for me, without having to use anything but the
default ipchains commands)

Client needs to send/receive UDP packets on ports >= 1024 to
chat.everquest.com, port 5999.
(this is where my connection doesn't work, it says the server isn't
responding, but my masq machine reports that it is forwarding these
packets, but obviously it isn't)

Client needs to send/recieve UDP packets on port >= 1024 to several
different everquest servers on ports >= 1024.
(i haven't even gotten this far, because the connection to
chat.everquest.com fails)

The Masq application page at http://www.tsmservices.com/masq/ says that
Everquest runs fine without any special setup, so could my problem be
security related?  Maybe my Masq machine isn't allowing UDP packets to
be sent on ports >= 1024?

I would appreciate any help, I have tried everything I can think of and
I'm totally out of ideas as to the cause of this.  Using IPMASQADM to
forward the specific ports didn't work either.  I require that several
machines be connected all the time so they can receive email, so dialing
in myself isn't an option (although I have tried it and both Everquest
and Q3 work fine).  IP Masqing has always worked for me before, and I'm
sorry to bother you all but I really don't want to have to resort to a
proxy server.  This is my last resort, I've exhausted all the other
resources I can find.

Thanks in advance for any help,

mcb | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to