/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */ Hello, I am having a few problems with ipchains & IP Masq...sorry about the long message :) If I try: ping www.yahoo.co.uk I get: PING homerc.europe.yahoo.com (194.237.109.72): 56 octets data 64 octets from 194.237.109.72: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=2559.1 ms wrong data byte #0 should be 0xd9 but was 0xd7d7 14 e 39 94 4e b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1 d 1e 1f 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 64 octets from 194.237.109.72: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=2350.0 ms wrong data byte #0 should be 0xda but was 0xd8d8 14 e 39 d3 4a b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1 d 1e 1f 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 64 octets from 194.237.109.72: icmp_seq=2 ttl=244 time=2640.0 ms wrong data byte #0 should be 0xdb but was 0xd9d9 14 e 39 e6 4a b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1 d 1e 1f 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 64 octets from 194.237.109.72: icmp_seq=3 ttl=244 time=2690.0 ms wrong data byte #0 should be 0xdc but was 0xdada 14 e 39 1b 4b b 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 1a 1b 1c 1 d 1e 1f 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 64 octets from 194.237.109.72: icmp_seq=4 ttl=244 time=2720.0 ms wrong data byte #0 should be 0xdd but was 0xdbdb 14 e 39 e0 4a b 0 Any ideas? I seem to be getting a *log* of entries in my /var/log/sys.log and kern.log files..It's getting really annoying, because over a day, my log files are getting *big* Most of them are like this: (I have heard 224.0.0.1 is for Multicast....but should this be happening? Can I stop it?) (The 62.x.x.x is my dynamic IP address on ppp0 when I am connected) May 2 21:50:47 ichilton kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=2 62.252.226.217:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=28 S=0x00 I=1 F=0x0000 T=1 (#35) May 2 21:50:54 ichilton kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=2 62.252.226.217:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=28 S=0x00 I=2 F=0x0000 T=1 (#35) May 2 21:52:53 ichilton kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=2 62.252.226.217:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=28 S=0x00 I=3 F=0x0000 T=1 (#35) May 2 21:54:52 ichilton kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=2 62.252.226.217:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=28 S=0x00 I=4 F=0x0000 T=1 (#35) May 2 21:56:50 ichilton kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=2 62.252.226.217:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=28 S=0x00 I=5 F=0x0000 T=1 (#35) May 2 21:58:49 ichilton kernel: Packet log: input REJECT ppp0 PROTO=2 62.252.226.217:65535 224.0.0.1:65535 L=28 S=0x00 I=6 I also get a *few* entries like this (194.168.x.100 is my ISP's DNS servers, which I am using in resolv.conf and on the windows machines): 62.252.240.161:1039 194.168.4.100:53 L=67 S=0x00 I=20608 F=0x0000 T=64 (#65) May 2 21:50:34 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=17 62.252.240.161:1039 194.168.8.100:53 L=67 S=0x00 I=20609 F=0x0000 T=64 (#65) May 2 21:50:34 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=17 62.252.240.161:1039 194.168.4.100:53 L=67 S=0x00 I=20610 F=0x0000 T=64 (#65) May 2 21:50:34 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=17 62.252.240.161:1039 194.168.8.100:53 L=67 S=0x00 I=20611 F=0x0000 T=64 (#65) There is also a *few* entries like this, which I don't know where the IP's are: 62.252.238.38:61237 209.155.82.18:21 L=46 S=0x00 I=10162 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:10 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61239 209.155.82.18:20 L=40 S=0x00 I=10163 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:11 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61208 206.204.7.43:80 L=40 S=0x00 I=5250 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:13 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61239 209.155.82.18:20 L=40 S=0x00 I=10169 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:14 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61237 209.155.82.18:21 L=52 S=0x00 I=10172 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:14 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61208 206.204.7.43:80 L=40 S=0x00 I=7810 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:20 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61239 209.155.82.18:20 L=40 S=0x00 I=10176 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:21 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61237 209.155.82.18:21 L=52 S=0x00 I=10178 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:21 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61208 206.204.7.43:80 L=40 S=0x00 I=14978 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:55:36 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61237 209.155.82.18:21 L=52 S=0x00 I=10203 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:56:05 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61237 209.155.82.18:21 L=52 S=0x00 I=10284 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) May 2 19:57:04 ichilton kernel: Packet log: output REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6 62.252.238.38:61237 209.155.82.18:21 L=52 S=0x00 I=10377 F=0x4000 T=127 (#65) Any ideas? Also, another problem, possibly with ipchains or not... I ocasionally use webmin (http://www.webmin.com/webmin) to setup stuff like cron jobs... It is a configuration system utility which runs on port 10000, so you just point a browser to: http://machinename:10000 and you can configure all sorts :) However, when using on the network, I keep getting Page Can't be displayed, DNS Error coming up. When I click Refresh a few times, it finally loads the page.. It seems to work OK sometimes, and not others.. Could this be the firewall causing this? I have got all trafic on eth0 ALLOW'd, so shouldn't be, just wondered if you had any ideas? And last question, connecting through IP Masq seems much slower than connecting a windows box direct on the same ISP. I have checked through some of the things mentioned in the IP Masq HOWTO, but can't find anything wrong...any ideas here? I have attatched my firewall script to this message (tar.gz'd). I would also apreciate it if someone could spare a few minutes to have a quick look through and see if you have any suggestions.. Thankyou in Advance!! Your help is much appreciated!! Bye for Now, Ian \|||/ (o o) /----------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------\ | Ian Chilton | | | | E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | | Web Page: http://www.ianchilton.co.uk | \------------------------------------------/ "Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends." "Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating system written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company which can not stand 1 bit of competition." _______________________________________________ Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES UNSUBSCRIBING! or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting. You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.
