/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


On 29 Apr 00, at 11:16, Thomas Papenkort wrote:

>/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
>
>
>Hi!
>
>I have a linux server that is connected to the internet by a dial-on-
>demand connection. There are three Windows clients which are masqed
>by this server.
>After a Windows client has been online and the connection has been
>closed, the server starts dialling again after some time. There is no
>program running on the client which needs to have a connection to the
>internet (I think).

I have a number of Win95 machines that launch DNS requests trying
to resolve their workgroup names. Not all of them do it, and I haven't 
invested the time to find out the differences.(hints anyone?) I am 
running a chaching DNS server on my MASQ box, so I solved the 
problem by pointing the workgroup names at real machine names 
with CNAME entries in my local zone file. This way the requests are 
answered locally and the dial-up line stays down. The 'trace' function 
on the nameserver software is also very useful in finding this sort of 
problem.

--dave

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to