/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
I have a system whose connection to the Internet is a dial-on-demand
solution based on a 56K V90 modem to my ISP.
Since the connection is paid, I choosed to have a DNS server for my local
LAN, but to avoid boot DNS queries, thus bringing the line up all the
time, I have removed the "." entry in named.conf (to ignore root.cache
file).
If my local DNS cannot resolv hostnames (ex: external names), a second
entry in /etc/resolv.conf solves this problem.
All this helps understanding my question:
Can I filter with ipchains packets comming to outside my LAN by hostname,
avoiding DNS queries? Example: If I want to prevent users from connecting
to, say, playboy.com domain, since I don't know the network adresses or
masks, will ipchains bring up a DNS query or can it filter the packets
just by its hostname?
It doesn't seem logic bringing up the line to in the end filter the
packets..
Thanks for any help,
Raul
Raul Miguel Pinheiro de Carvalho
ISR - Instituto de Sistemas e Robotica, Porto
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.