/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Hi Lauren,

> I'm running Mandrake 7.02 (kernel 2.2.14) with RoadRunner
> (cable modem)
> and DHCP. My internet connection (eth0) is fine, but my
> internal box cannot
> ping the gateway (192.168.0.1). I don't see any green lights
> on the NIC card
> of
> the internal win98 box when I connect it to the linux NIC
> card (eth1). That
> card works
> fine, though if connected directly to RoadRunner.
[snip]

> [ netstat -rn ]
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS
> Window  irtt
> Iface
> 24.93.21.0      0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0
>          0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0
>          0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         24.93.21.1      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0
>          0 eth0

Very odd, you should have a route to the 192.168.0.0/24 network.  It's
typically added automatically when you've configured the device the way you
have.

You don't and it's most likely the cause of your problems.

route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
eth1

should produce the following route:

192.168.0.0  0.0.0.0  255.255.255.0  U   0  0   0  eth1

After this route is set you should be able to ping, etc the local network.

If this doesn't help, then you need to check your network connections.
Terminators on BNC connections or use of the proper RJ45 'straight through'
cable with a hub or the different RJ45 'crossover' cable if directly linking
2 machines.  Using the wrong cable or having loose connectors will also
cause these symptoms.

> [ rc.firewall ]
> After I reboot and check /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward - it's
> always 0,
> but if I run the rc.firewall script by hand, it is set correctly to 1.
> So I always set it manually - usually with the standard echo line.

This works with RedHat 5.2+ I believe it's remained the same in Mandrake but
I have not had a chance to check.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network reads the values from /etc/sysconfig/network in
order to determine what value to echo into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward at
init.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network to read:
FORWARD_IPV4="yes"

But you still need to add something to actually load your firewall script.

I'm paranoid and run the firewall scripts before any network devices are
brought up.  (I've edited my copy of /etc/rc.d/init.d/network to load it for
me.)  You might be more comfortable editing /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load your
ruleset.  Alternately adding a firewall init script (no worries about
upgrading the initscripts rpm removing your changes that way) might be what
you need/want.

Lourdes

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to