/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


I'm running LinuxPPC 2000 on a Powerbook G3. I have DSL and that works
great with Linux, and I'm running Mac-on-Linux with OS9. I've been
trying desperately to set up ethertap and IP masquerading, with no
success and a dismaying lack of useful errors.

Here's the deal: I am using a 2.2.15pre11 kernel with ethertap support
compiled in. I then do:

  mknod /dev/tap0 c 36 16 
  /sbin/ifconfig tap0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up arp
  /sbin/route add -host 192.168.0.1 tap0
  echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp
  /sbin/arp -s 192.168.0.2 FE:FD:00:00:00:00 pub
 
Which all seems to work fine. I see what I expect to see from ifconfig,
namely:

tap0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FD:00:00:00:00  
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:104 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 

Next, the IP masquerading:

  /sbin/depmod -a
  /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
  echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
  # Oh, and I've also got FORWARD_IPV4=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network
  echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
  /sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 160
  /sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
  /sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ

So I go and run mol configured to use Ethernet and to use tap0 as the
interface. Fine -- the log says stuff like

  osi_enet: Attached to network interface <tap0>
  osi_enet: Ethernet address is: fe fd 00 00 00 00

In the Mac world (OS 9, and Open Transport 2.6), I configure TCP/IP thusly:

  use Ethernet
  configured manually
  IP address = 192.168.0.2
  router = 192.168.0.1
  subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

So far so good. "Get info" in the TCP/IP control panel even shows the HW
address of the tap0 interface, FE:FD:00:00:00:00. But IT DOESN'T FUCKING
WORK! I can't ping 192.168.0.1 from the Mac side, and I can't ping
192.168.0.2 from Linux. (I *can* ping each local host from itself.)

At this point, I'm completely out of ideas. I don't even know how to
further debug the situation, being pretty new to Linux and completely
new to IP masquerading and ethertap. I don't know if anyone here has done
exactly what I'm trying to do (I did search the archive and found
nothing on "ethertap", and nothing very useful under "mac"), but surely
someone has some good ideas on how I can diagnose the problem?

Sean Willard

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to